Where's the outrage?
Charles of Little Green Footballs, who is a mensch, reported on the latest Palestinian outrage (turning a synagogue into a museum commemorating weapons used to murder Israelis), and then asked a very important question:
I’m reading this again, and wondering where the hell is the world’s outrage about this? Newsweek prints a false rumor that a Koran was dunked in a toilet, and the entire planet goes nuts. Hamas announces that they’re going to turn a Jewish house of worship into a memorial to mass murder ... and the silence is absolutely deafening. [Emphasis in original.]I thought about that question for a large part of the night, and think I came up with one answer: the tide against Israel is so strong that it simply has swept away intelligence, compassion and awareness. In a minute, I'll give a laundry list of just some of the more recent government/media/Leftist outrages committed against Israel which have left even Israel's staunchest supporters simply exhausted. Before I do, let me lead with a quotation from the Rev. Sydney Smith, a famous figure of the British Enlightenment (a time when the Brits still had beliefs about right and wrong, and a really impressive amount of moral fibre). At a speech in 1813, Rev. Smith related this anecdote:
In the midst of this sublime and terrible storm [at Sidmouth], Dame Partington, who lived upon the beach, was seen at the door of her house with mop and pattens, trundling her mop, squeezing out the sea-water, and vigorously pushing away the Atlantic Ocean. The Atlantic was roused; Mrs. Partington’s spirit was up. But I need not tell you that the contest was unequal; the Atlantic Ocean beat Mrs. Partington.Keep in mind the image of the valiant Dame Partington as you reflect on these attacks and canards:
- French journalists conspire with Palestinians to release a false snuff film that gives rise to the Second Intifadah.
- European journalists abandon reality to support a completely false story about massacres in Jenin.
- American Churches boycott Israel
- British Universities attempt to blackball all Israeli academics (something I blogged about extensively here, here, here, here, and here).
- George Bush, with Condi Rice's encouragement, appointed a staunch Arabist as ambassador to Israel.
- Europeans select Israel, the only Democracy in the Middle East, as the most dangerous country in the world.