Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

Friday, September 23, 2005

Where's the outrage?

Charles of Little Green Footballs, who is a mensch, reported on the latest Palestinian outrage (turning a synagogue into a museum commemorating weapons used to murder Israelis), and then asked a very important question:

I’m reading this again, and wondering where the hell is the world’s outrage about this? Newsweek prints a false rumor that a Koran was dunked in a toilet, and the entire planet goes nuts. Hamas announces that they’re going to turn a Jewish house of worship into a memorial to mass murder ... and the silence is absolutely deafening. [Emphasis in original.]
I thought about that question for a large part of the night, and think I came up with one answer: the tide against Israel is so strong that it simply has swept away intelligence, compassion and awareness. In a minute, I'll give a laundry list of just some of the more recent government/media/Leftist outrages committed against Israel which have left even Israel's staunchest supporters simply exhausted. Before I do, let me lead with a quotation from the Rev. Sydney Smith, a famous figure of the British Enlightenment (a time when the Brits still had beliefs about right and wrong, and a really impressive amount of moral fibre). At a speech in 1813, Rev. Smith related this anecdote:
In the midst of this sublime and terrible storm [at Sidmouth], Dame Partington, who lived upon the beach, was seen at the door of her house with mop and pattens, trundling her mop, squeezing out the sea-water, and vigorously pushing away the Atlantic Ocean. The Atlantic was roused; Mrs. Partington’s spirit was up. But I need not tell you that the contest was unequal; the Atlantic Ocean beat Mrs. Partington.
Keep in mind the image of the valiant Dame Partington as you reflect on these attacks and canards:
  1. French journalists conspire with Palestinians to release a false snuff film that gives rise to the Second Intifadah.
  2. European journalists abandon reality to support a completely false story about massacres in Jenin.
  3. American Churches boycott Israel
  4. British Universities attempt to blackball all Israeli academics (something I blogged about extensively here, here, here, here, and here).
  5. George Bush, with Condi Rice's encouragement, appointed a staunch Arabist as ambassador to Israel.
  6. Europeans select Israel, the only Democracy in the Middle East, as the most dangerous country in the world.
I could go on and on (this is a very short list from a chillingly large number of choices), but I have work to do and I'm depressing myself. I am, as readers of this blog know, a staunch supporter of Israel. Indeed, much of my Jewish identity is tied up with Israel. However, the unrelenting, false, vicious attacks against Israel are so prevalent, and so overwhelming, even I don't bother to post about each of them anymore. It just seems pointless. Unless something changes dramatically, both within Israel and in the larger world, I have the horrible suspicion that my parents will have seen the birth of Israel, and I its death. All the mops in the world seem incapable of stopping the inrush of this anti-Semitic, anti-Israeli Atlantic.