Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Some in England still heed Pastor Martin Niemoller's lesson

First They Came for the Jews First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew. Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist. Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist. Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me. --Pastor Martin Niemoller
I thought of this famous 1945 poem when I read that some in England have had the decency to protest the vote by the Association of University Teachers to boycott Israeli universities and Israeli professors who don't denounce Israel:
The Association of University Teachers (AUT) has received a flood of protests, accompanied by an increasing number of resignations, following its decision to adopt boycotts against Israeli universities last Friday. The backlash, which may take the form of mass resignations from the union, has seen an outpouring of protests by Jewish and non-Jewish academics across Britain.
Too little, too late? Only time will tell, but it is heartening. Hat tip: Little Green Footballs Previous posts: Who knew that England would be the new Nazi Germany? The Nazis in England move forward Actions and reactions More on the British Nazis