Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Man bites dog

Yes, it's me, on one of the lightest blogging days I can remember when I'm not actually on vacation. It's been just a frantically busy day, where I've been bouncing from one meeting to another. So, now that I'm taking a short break, I thought to myself, "What the heck. Instead of the usual blogging, I'll look for something cheerful in the news, and just link to it for the feel goodness of it all." Sadly, I can't find anything. I'm consoling myself with the reminder that life is mostly good for those of us lucky to live in the first world, and the very ordinariness of the goodness keeps it from being newsworthy. (That's the dog bites man stuff.) What's different is the bad, sad, depressing news. (And there you have your man bites dog.) Indeed, one could argue that the MSM's obsessive hunt for the negative still highlights how good things really are, both here and abroad. If things were as bad as the MSM would have us believe, the negative would become commonplace, and the news would have to take a more cheerful spin to distinguish it from the ordinary. Yeah, that's the ticket. That's why the news is so relentlessly gloomy.