Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Aaargh! Grumble, grumble

I'm feeling irked. My friend, whose child is good friends with my child, is going through a very difficult divorce, which involves a custody struggle. The other day, the husband's new girlfriend, whom I'd known for only a half hour, started criticizing my friend's conduct in the divorce. In retrospect, I should have said simply "Well, I can't agree with that." What I did, though, was look at her, think to myself that it was very peculiar for her, a half hour after having met me to badmouth my friend, and switch subjects. We parted minutes after that (since our meeting was simply to hand-off children after a playdate). I've since learned that my silence in the face of what I considered surprising and inappropriate information is now being used as part of a custody challenge against my friend. Apparently I "agreed" with the girlfriend. To say I feel violated is too strong, but I'm feeling something that comes under that umbrella. To have my silence perverted in this way, and suddenly to have my friend worried that I've somehow spoken against her is incredibly disturbing. So here I am, aarghing and grumbling.