Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Making suburbs safe for Republicans

I live in a suburb that is part of the ultra blue Bay Area, and that is about 99.999999% Democratic in make-up. It was therefore with great interest that I read this Weekly Standard article that describes suburbs such as mine, and puts forward ideas for giving Republicanism a chance in the suburbs. I should say, though, that my suburb is unlikely to change. The article focuses on suburbs that used to be Republican strongholds but that, in the 1990s, shifted to Democratic strongholds -- primarily because urban housing pressure caused urbanites (usually Democrats) to start populating those same suburbs. My community is now, and always has been, a branch of the Democratic party. Anyway, it's an interesting article, which basically involves a concerted Republican effort to appeal to soccer moms. How the times have changed, haven't they? It was that same effort that got Clinton elected in 1992.