Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

Sunday, October 30, 2005

Each culture has something about which to be proud

I was at a party a few nights ago and met a very friendly, charming French woman who has been living in the U.S. for the past 30 years. She was also very garrulous, and very quickly told me a lot about herself and her life. What I found amusing was a subtext that ran through her conversation, which I mentally classed as "But I'm French...." So, imagine if you will, a lilting French accent, and a monologue with these highlights: "I told him exactly what I think about him. But I'm French, and we are very honest and straightforward. *** I met with my good friend. Of course, I'm French, and when we make friends, we make friends for life. If we like you, we French are friends forever. *** When we were in Paris, my teenage niece went out all night with her friends. But they're French, and of course, French kids are so much more mature and responsible. When French kids go to college, they start medical school young, young, because they're French, and they know that they only have once chance. If they fail their tests, they get one chance. If they fail them a second time, they are kicked out. *** I got dressed for a party, and I looked into my closet and I thought, what shall I wear to show that I'm French, with that French style." A charming, friendly lady, as I said, with an A+ grade in French self-esteem.