Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

Thursday, May 12, 2005

Did Ken Starr really say that?

I don't watch TV news, so all I know is what I read about it on the blogs. Here, Power Line blogs that the MSM has been tremendously excited about a clip of a CBS interview with Ken Starr, in which the latter alleged says of the Republican proposal to end filibusters that "This is a radical, radical departure from our history and from our traditions, and it amounts to an assault on the judicial branch of government." According to an email Ken Starr didn't say this at all in that context:

I sat on Saturday with Gloria Borger for 20 minutes approximately, had a wide ranging, on-camera discussion. In the piece that I have now seen, and which I gather has been lavishly quoted, CBS employed two snippets. The 'radical departure from our history' snippet was specifically addressed to the practice of invoking judicial philosophy as a grounds for voting against a qualified nominee of integrity and experience. I said in sharp language that that practice was wrong. I contrasted the current practice and that employed viciously against your father with what occurred during Ruth Ginsburg's nomination process as numerous Republicans voted, rightly, to confirm a former ACLU staff worker. They disagreed with her positions as a lawyer but they voted -- again rightly -- to confirm her.
Also according to Power Line, CBS refuses to release the unedited video from the Starr interview. If all of the above is true, it's no wonder that fewer and fewer Americans trust the MSM.