Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

Saturday, February 12, 2005

No offense to my Australian readers, but I'm glad I don't live there

This gave me the creeps, and made me very glad I don't live in Australia:

Australians have been warned: angry arachnids are heading indoors. Scientists say Australia's hot, humid and wet summer has had a bad effect on common, but potentially deadly, redback spiders. Normally found in outdoor sheds, gardens and under roofs, the cantankerous creepy-crawlies are seeking shelter indoors in tropical Queensland and New South Wales, two of Australia's biggest states. *** Bites have been recorded at a rate of one a day, he said. A female redback's bite usually results in sweating and pain, which slowly builds to the point of being unbearable. No deaths from redback bites have been reported in Queensland since the introduction of an anti-venom.
Thank goodness for that anti-venom, but I really didn't like the bit about unbearable pain.