Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Would you want to see this movie?

Would you want to see this movie, which Hollywood is advertising as having a storyline that is a movie everyone can "relate to" and that "has tremendous potential to reach and transform . . . audiences":

A tragic romance set in the '60s and '70s, [the movie] is about two lovers who can't overcome the obstacles to achieving a permanent union. The two [lovers] can express themselves physically, in secret, but they have no words for their feelings. They both suffer. And they ruin their lives.
I hate movies like that, which have the Russian novel potential of everyone ending up dead. They just depress me, and leave me regretting money spent to watch the film. So when I almost certainly don't see the new gay western love story movie Brokeback Mountain, my absence will be tied to the fact that it's not the kind of story line I'd ever voluntarily see under any circumstances. Now if they made a gay love story romantic comedy....