Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Must. Resist. Temptation.

Today, the day after Halloween, is my zombie day, since I'm wandering blindly around the house, arms outstretched towards the candy, mumbling to myself, "Must . . . not . . . eat . . . candy. Must . . . resist . . . temptation." The really sad thing is that the temptation is entirely my fault. My kids' friends told them yesterday that, if they put their candy out by the front door, the Halloween Fairy would come, take the candy and leave a present. I first learned this at 8:00 last night. Fortunately, I'd gone on a Target run yesterday and procrastinated about unloading the bags. This meant that my children hadn't seen the things I'd bought for them in the ordinary course of things (the skirt for my daughter, the puzzle for my son). So, I took the candy and replaced it with these products. Now, at this moment, if I'd been a smart woman, I would have taken the candy right out to the garbage can. But I'm not a smart woman, at least when it comes to candy, and I carefully packed it away in a container and placed it in a high closet. This morning, there was great excitement, and the kids left the house with no regrets about the candy left behind. My problem is that the house is empty and, in the silence, I hear the candy call my name. I'm really going to have to do something here. Throw candy away? Eat candy? Hmmmm. I'll get back to you.