Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

Monday, October 24, 2005

Apparently there's a fine line between fantasy and reality

I was standing in line at the grocery store when my eye was caught by the new TV Guide. On the cover was a 3/4 picture of a beaming Geena Davis. Next to the picture, there was some teaser paragraph about how she went from gawky to star. What really got me, though, was the last phrase in that tease, which described her stardom as being in a "ground breaking" new role. Excuse me, TV Guide people, but she's not really the President, she just plays one on TV. And there's nothing ground breaking about the role of first female president. I seem to remember Hollywood playing around with the idea at least once. After all, who could forget Polly Bergen in the dreadful Kisses for My President? Given that kind of nonsense beaming of the magazine rack, I wanted to grab some TV Guide copywriter by the shoulder and holler and him/her -- "It's TV. It's not real."