Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

Thursday, October 13, 2005

And another thing in Miers' defense

A lot of conservatives are worried about the fact that Miers did not start life off as a conservative Republican, but drifted in that direction, politically and religiously. Frankly, I think they're way wrong to focus on that. Have you ever noticed that there's no zealot like a convert? And think about some of your favorite, committed conservative bloggers and conservative figures generally, many of whom confess to having started on the Left side of the spectrum. The most radical one -- the one who morphed completely from way left to way right -- is David Horowitz. Here's some more that I can think of off the top of my head: Charles Johnson Some, or all, of the Power Line guys LaShawn Barber Mike S. Adams Michael Medved The Anchoress Joshua Murvachik I'm sure you'd trust your Constitution to all of these people. How about some regular Joe bloggers (myself included) who have crossed the line? This is a short list, off the top of my head, and I apologize in advance to all of those blog friends whom I left off the list because I didn't know they were renegade liberals. Gail, at Crossing the Rubicon (Gail, I just added you to my blogroll. I thought I had, and was shocked to discover I hadn't. I apologize.) Gina, at Gee Dubya Heather, at From the Word Go (Heather, I just added you to my blogroll, too. You get the same apology Gail gets.) Callimachus, at Done with Mirrors Jeremy, at Repatriot If you're a former Democrat who has, for whatever reason, crossed to the other side, let me know. My point is that Miers' political transformation needn't be viewed with suspicion. As the names I've highlighted above demonstrate, people who have had the benefit of being on both sides of the political divide often bring the highest level of commitment and insight to the political perch they land on in their mature years. Miers' youth on the liberal side may give her a huge advantage in dealing with legal arguments aimed at undercutting strict Constitutional constructions.