Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Clearly, it depends what "is" is

I got a little notice from the Media Research Center letting me know that they've compiled a Dan Rather's Greatest Hits page. Not only should these quotations put to rest any questions anyone might still have about Rather's blatant political bias, they also help to explain how Bill Clinton's supporters can live in a reality where the word "is" has no meaning*

Bill O'Reilly: "I want to ask you flat out, do you think President Clinton�s an honest man?" Dan Rather: "Yes, I think he's an honest man." O'Reilly: "Do you, really?" Rather: "I do." O'Reilly: "Even though he lied to Jim Lehrer's face about the Lewinsky case?" Rather: "Who among us has not lied about something?" O'Reilly: "Well, I didn't lie to anybody's face on national television. I don�t think you have, have you?" Rather: "I don't think I ever have. I hope I never have. But, look, it's one thing -- O'Reilly: "How can you say he's an honest guy then?" Rather: "Well, because I think he is. I think at core he's an honest person. I know that you have a different view. I know that you consider it sort of astonishing anybody would say so, but I think you can be an honest person and lie about any number of things."
In my own defense, even though I was a Clinton partisan during the Lewinsky scandal, I found it difficult, if not impossible to stomach his blatant and inexcusable lying. (My intellectual defense at the time was that his sex life was not Congress's business.)