Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

Friday, January 21, 2005

Another fun book on my plate

I'm reading Ann Coulter's How to Talk to a Liberal (If you Must) and really envying her incredible analytical abilities and witty writing. Although, as I said to a friend of mine, she's mean. It's almost tiring to read her writing, because so many sentences resonate both at the humorous level, and at the level of inciteful political discourse. Anyway, here's a couple of paragraphs from a December 17, 2003 column about the Democratic contender's dismay at the fact that the army had captured Hussein:

Say, has anyone asked Dick Gephardt if this falls under "miserable failure"? Obviously we'll have to wait for all the politics to play out, but at this stage it's hard to say which was worse for Howard Dean this week: the capture of Saddam Hussein or Al Gore's endorsement. Until Sunday, Governor Mean's big applause line in speeches has been to sneer about the Bush administration's failure to catch Saddam Hussein. It seems the governor is better at prescribing bitter pills than at swallowing them. In a speech to the Pacific Council the date after Saddam was captured, Dean nearly choked on the words, "The capture of Saddam is a good thing," before quickly adding, "but the capture of Saddam has not made America safer." (Possible headline: "Dean Says Saddam's Capture Good Thing, Just Not Really Good Thing.") If George W. Bush announced that a cure for cancer had been discovered, Democrats would complaint about unemployed laboratory rats. On Fox News Sunday, Senator John F. Kerry said of Saddam's capture, "This is a great opportunity for president to get it right for the long term. And I hope he will be magnanimous, reach out to the UN, to allies who've stood away from us." It's as if he were reading my mind! After listening to all the bellyaching from European leftists for the past eight months, I think I speak for all Americans when I say I've been waiting for just the right opportunity to grovel to the French. And now we have it -- a major win is the perfect opportunity! That Kerry, he has an uncanny sense for what the average American is thinking.
That Kerry, he's positioning himself to run again in 2008. It ought to be fun seeing Kerry and H. Clinton battling it out in the primaries. I'm not sure my constitution is strong enough for all the excitement and stress that one will generate. UPDATE: I'm almost done with Coulter's book and am in awe of her analytical abilities. Indeed, my blog seems dated and redundant, since everything I plod through leadenly here, she's already addressed in the past with wit, solid facts and keen insight. If you haven't yet read her book, I urge you to do so.