Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

The person whom Bush should nominate

I was speaking with a lawyer friend of mine who is an ardent and long-standing conservative. Unsurprisingly, the conversation rolled around to Bush's impending announcement tonight about his Supreme Court nominee. After we'd agreed that the person nominated should be an originalist, and that Bush shouldn't back down from the inevitable fight that will occur for any nominee other than Bill Clinton himself, my friend said he had the perfect nominee -- but I'd laugh when I heard it. Well, I tried: "Janis Rogers Brown?" "No." "Priscilla Owens?" "No." "Alex Kozinski?" "No." "I can see you're not going to get it," he said. Well, I'll tell you. It's [click here for the answer]." Did you laugh? I certainly did at the sheer audacity of it, but my friend's right too. If you're going to have a fight, go for the best. UPDATE: Bush did well. As you've heard, it's John Roberts. I heard All Things Considered reporting on him, and the reporter said that he's considered brilliant, is extremely "nice," and has lots of friends in D.C. She said he's known to be conservative, but his conservative writings were as an attorney, both in the private sector and for the government, so it is traditionally considered useless to use those advocacy positions against him.