Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

Friday, April 08, 2005

Bowing to intellectual thuggery

I am a fan of National Review Online, but I was very dismayed when I learned that they'd buckled under to pressure from CAIR (Council of American-Islamic Relations) and removed books critical of Islam from their website. If you decide to remove such books because they're inconsisent with your message or because they're intellectually dishonest books, that's one thing; if you remove them because a group with terrorist affiliations tells you to, that does smell remarkably like bowing down to thuggery. Now, I'm not the bravest person in the world (hardly), but I hope some vestige of principles would keep me from bowing to such pressure. In that vein, Diana West wrote an excellent article about the long-term consequences of allowing CAIR to engage in this type of bullying.