Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

Sunday, June 12, 2005

My informal list of the greatest Americans

Right Wing News reminds me that the Discovery Channel is doing a show about the 100 greatest Americans, and is soliciting votes. Hawkins also points about that people are making some scarily ignorant choices, such as Oprah. To offset this silliness, Hawkins came up with his own list of greatest Americans. Here's mine, in no particular order. Feel free to add to or challenge this list (it's pretty heavy on the Founding Fathers): George Washington Thomas Jefferson James Madison John Adams Benjamin Franklin Abraham Lincoln Teddy Roosevelt Jonas Salk Audie Murphy Louisa May Alcott (pure girl emotion here, but I think she was one of the great American writers) Mark Twain Clara Barton Dwight Eisenhower Harry Truman (for having the courage to drop the bomb that saved my mother's life) Thomas Edison Alexander Graham Bell (yes, born in Scotland, but it was in America that he achieved greatness) The passengers on Flight 93, who may have saved the US government I'm sure I'll think of more as soon as I post this blog, but it's okay for a first pass.