Day By Day© by Chris Muir.

Sunday, February 19, 2006

Reader Sammy describes the ACLU as "an ennobling American institution" leading me to seek out the ACLU web site. It contains lovely platitudes about free speech (the topic of the day, I guess) and even a rationale for supporting the right to speech we disagree with. They give the game away, though, by seeking to ban speech in support of intelligent design. I must admit I'm not a fan of intelligent design myself. It works hard to put a scientific gloss on a decidedly unscientific theory. But the ACLU's demand that a school district "cease allowing staff to teach intelligent design in science classrooms throughout the district" is nothing short of suppression of speech. Apparently, the ACLU's right to free speech doesn't extend to speech in favor of religious theories. Ennobling, indeed.